A VILLAGE FACING EXTINCTION
Culture, Meal included
It's like a different world: an open-air film set where no less than the great director Federico Fellini shot his film “La Strada”. A guided tour will take you to discover Civita di Bagnoregio, a village perched on a spur of tuff rock. Amazingly, 11 people live there!
- Inland Civitavecchia
- Civita di Bagnoregio, medieval town with traditional lunch
- Walking tour of the citadel
- Panoramic stops to view the gullies and the valley
- Listen to the interesting facts and stories told by our local guide as we enter this medieval village which is now in danger of disappearing due to erosion affecting the hill and the valley. Its 'walls' are shrinking by around 7 cm a year!
- The atmosphere is almost surreal: houses covered in ivy, balconies bursting with flowers and a panoramic view of the surrounding hills from almost every corner. Many directors have shot films here. Because Civita di Bagnoregio truly is a film set.
- During the outward bus journey we'll have a chance to watch some *film clips shot in this very village. Interestingly, Civita has also appeared in the Miyazaki animé cartoon “The Enchanted City”* and, on learning that some of the scenes were set in the village, many Japanese people have rushed to visit it. Particularly as it is here today... but may be gone tomorrow!
- There will of course be a lunch break to enjoy pappardelle with boar meat sauce and pork loin roast with rosemary
Good to know
- The journey from the port to the village takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Menus may vary according to season to ensure the constant high quality of the dishes served.
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.