LOFTHELLIR LAVA CAVE EXCURSION
Active & adventurous, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 53
In a nutshell
Good to know
We will explore a stunning lava cave hidden underground in a lost world, where incredible ice sculptures carved out by nature will leave us lost for words.
- Lake Mývatn
- Mt. Hvannfell
- Lofthellir lava cave
- Goðafoss waterfall
- We will leave Akureyri and head to Lake Mývatn where lava rocks and volcanic formations create picturesque views.
- We will travel along a dirt track across a lunar landscape dotted with craters until we reach the slopes of Mt. Hvannfell, where we will have to leave our transport and continue on foot.
- We will walk for around 20-30 minutes in a picturesque lava field scattered with unusually shaped rocks until we reach the mouth of Lofthellir lava cave.
- Equipped with helmets and torches, we will be ready to enter the cave where we will witness a breathtaking display of nature for at least an hour, with stunning lava formations and ice sculptures, some of the biggest, most beautiful and colourful in the whole of Iceland.
- Then we will start our return journey, passing the banks of Lake Mývatn and stopping in the village of Reykjahlíd briefly.
- Before returning to the port, we will visit the incredible Goðafoss waterfall, whose arch shape is reminiscent of the more famous Niagara falls, only here the drop is a mere 22 metres.
Good to know
- This tour includes a basket lunch prepared by our ship staff.
- This excursion is not recommended for children, physically unfit guests or guests that suffer from claustrophobia.
- The entrance to the cave is very narrow and guests will have to crawl through a short section (1.5 metres).
- The cave floor is covered in ice and water at a temperature of around 0°C.
- We recommend wearing warm, waterproof clothing (avoid jeans and shirts), gloves and hiking shoes.
- Equipment for the cave visit is provided (helmet, torch and crampons).
- This excursion is conducted in English.