4X4 HINTERLAND ADVENTURE
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking, 50
In a nutshell Those who dare to venture off the beaten track will find hidden gems - with our 4x4 Jeeps, we take an extraordinary trip inland to discover breathtaking views and sceneries.
Good to know
- Godafoss waterfall
- Mývatn lake and Ludentsborgir row of crators
- Restaurant lunch
- Bárdardalur valley
- Aldeyjarfoss waterfall
- Vaglaskógur forest
- We board our 4x4 Jeeps and leave Akureyri behind us to start an adventure that will take us to see the wilderness of the hinterland.
- Our fist stop is the splendid *Godafoss waterfall, whose shape is reminiscent of the more famous Niagara falls even though it is only 22 metres high. We stop to enjoy the views and learn more about the legends that surround it.
- We then reach lake Mývatn, where lava rocks and volcanic formations create unique views which we can capture on our cameras.
- We may feel rather hungry so it will be the perfect time to enjoy a two-course meal in a restaurant before getting back on the road.
- We cross remote heaths as far as the valley of Bárdardalur, where a white glacial river created by the Vatnajökull glacier, the largest on the island, creates a network of spectacular waterways.
- At the edge of the plateaus, we admire the Aldeyjarfoss waterfall with its striking contrast between the black basalt columns and white tumultuous waters.
- We venture into the Vaglaskógur forest, where the birch trees create the background for swathes of colourful flowers. We make a stop to take a few pictures and relax while listening to the birds chirping and the leaves rustling.
- The last stretch takes us along an abandoned mountain road that climbs up to 600 metres treating us to breathtaking views.
Good to know
- This excursion is conducted in English.
- Visibility is subject to weather conditions.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Participants must be at least 8 years of age.