LEGENDARY JAPANESE CASTLES FROM MAIZURU TO FUKUCHIYAMA
Panorama, Culture, Lunch not included
An exciting half-day tour reliving the ancient battles and splendour of Japan’s commanders: visiting picturesque castles in Maizuru and Fukuchiyama, where the past is echoed in every stone, and a beautiful Shinto shrine that epitomises Japanese tradition, topped off with some lovely delicacies from a typical shop.
What we will see
- Tanabe Castle in Maizuru: ruins and garden
- The peaceful town of Fukuchiyama
- Fukuchiyama Castle: in the typical Japanese style
- Tour of the Goryo Shinto shrine
- Shopping in a shop selling sweet delicacies
What we will do
- We start our excursion with a tour of Tanabe Castle in Maizuru, which dates back to the 16th century. We can admire the remains of the castle, which can still be seen in the attractive gardens that surround them, juxtaposed with some reconstructions that give us an idea of how they would have looked in the past.
- We will then leave Maizuru and travel to the tranquil inland town of Fukuchiyama, where crowds are scarce and the atmosphere is peaceful, making it the ideal place for a relaxing day.
- The main attraction is Fukuchiyama Castle, situated on a small hill and built in the 16th century using materials recovered from a fort that was previously on the site.
- We will reach the foot of the castle after a short walk and admire the typical features of the Japanese castle: the thick stone foundations, the wooden walls and the curved roofs that slant upwards.
- Not far from the castle, we will visit Goryo shrine, dedicated to the Japanese deity Inari and enshrining the spirit of Akechi Mitsuhide. Outside, there is a large garden, ideal for a moment’s relaxation.
- Our excursion will end with a stop for some shopping in a local store called Adachi Otoemon, situated a short distance from the castle in a restored building from the Meiji period with a lovely garden. We can buy some local culinary delicacies here and taste the delicious chestnut tarts.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places and English guides are available.
- Traffic jams are to be expected during tourist season.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- There will be no snow at the time the tour takes place.
- Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- We recommend exchanging Japanese yen on board as there are no currency exchange offices in the area.