EXCURSION FROM ÅLESUND TO THE TROLLSTIGEN
Sightseen, Designed for families, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly, 50
An exciting full-day tour of the breathtaking scenery of the Norwegian fjords and the surreal atmosphere of the villages nestled between the mountains, where a delicious buffet lunch awaits us. The tour will end with the famous Trollstigen, a mountain road with breathtaking turns that will treat you to unforgettable emotions.
- Sightseeing tour of Ålesund
- Spjelkavik and the village of Sjøholt
- Storfjord and Stordal: octagonal church
- Liabygda and Valldal (tour of the exterior)
- Gudbrandsjuvet canyon
- Buffet lunch with Norwegian dishes
- Trollstigen ('Trolls' Path') and Trollveggen ('Troll Wall')
- Romsdalsfjorden, Innfjorden, Måndalen, Vågstranda and Vikebukt
- Ørskog mountain
- We will set off on our coach to explore the city where our ship is docked on a brief sightseeing tour of Ålesund, admiring the delightful and sometimes eccentric Liberty-style architecture for which it is famous.
- Leaving the city, we will travel east and pass through the town of Spjelkavik towards the little village of Sjøholt, where the fjord becomes a cove and spills out towards the south.
- The road continues alongside the majestic Storfjord, which brightens up our journey with picture-postcard scenery. This region is famous for salmon fishing and the manufacture of furniture. Our first stop, the little town of Stordal, is home to a number of furniture manufacturers and a charming octagonal church built in 1789, which we will admire as we pass.
- Our journey will continue through the villages of Liabygda and Valldal, famous for producing sweet strawberries, and we will delve deeper and deeper into the heart of the fjord's mazes.
- We will leave the stretch of sea behind us and follow the valley that scrambles up towards the mountains, passing through the imposing Gudbrandsjuvet canyon, one of the most famous and popular sightseeing points in the region, offering spectacular views.
- At lunchtime, we will stop to taste some typical Norwegian dishes served in a buffet offering hot and cold dishes. This exquisite experience of local culinary traditions will end with a delicious dessert.
- After lunch, we will head to the highest part of the road that stands 853 metres above sea level, and our coach will look out onto the famous Trollstigen or Trolls' Path, a breathtaking road closed to traffic in winter which descends into Isterdalen valley with 11 incredible bends, a 12% gradient and just a single lane for almost the entire route.
- We will admire the Troll Wall or Trollveggen, the tallest vertical rock face in Europe (915 metres) and a popular destination in summer for climbing enthusiasts from all over the world.
- Heading back down to the sea, we will travel along the opposite side of Romsdalsfjorden than on our journey that morning, and we will pass through the villages of Innfjorden, Måndalen, Vågstranda and Vikebukt before crossing the Ørskog mountain region and returning to the road that will take us back towards Ålesund.
Good to know
- Lunch includes a bottle of mineral water, light beer and coffee.