EXCURSION TO THE MOUNTAINS OF STRANDA
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking, 50
In a nutshell The excitement of sailing between the steep cliffs of a fjord, the exhilaration of soaring up to over 1,000 metres altitude in a cable car and the ecstasy of admiring the breathtaking views, enjoying a lunch with comfortable seating. This excursion delivers all the splendour that Norway has to offer.
Good to know
- Sightseeing tour of Ålesund
- Cable car ascent
- Mount Aksla: panoramic viewpoint
- Our excursion starts with a brief sightseeing tour of Ålesund, famous for its Liberty-style architecture and delightful position, nestled between aquatic arabesques and soaring mountain peaks.
- Then we will head towards the town of Stranda. To get there *we will cross the fjord on a ferry that will sail along the region's spectacular narrow waterways that run between steep slopes where nature is in total control.
- When we arrive, we will take the charming cable car to the top of the mountain behind Stranda, reaching approximately 1,042 metres above sea level.
- The view will leave you speechless: green fields, goats grazing and snow that is even still there in summer - perfect for the kids who can have fun playing. From the viewpoint at the top of the mountain, we can admire the majestic Geiranger Fjord, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and Jostedal glacier, the largest in Europe situated on dry land.
- We will have a bit of free time to relax and enjoy the atmosphere up on the mountain taking in the stunning panoramic views.
- For the return back to Ålesund we will cross the fjord again, taking a different route from before and take a ferry. We will experience the incredible sensation of sailing in this narrow stretch of sea that will treat us to countless stunning views.
- On our return journey, before rejoining the ship, we will make a quick stop at Mount Aksla, one of Ålesund's biggest attractions, to take some photos of the views. It boasts incredible views of the town, the charming surrounding islands and the majestic Sunnmøre Alps.
Good to know
- Stranda Gondola might close for safety reasons in case of high winds or adverse weather conditions. In this case we will do our best to provide an alternative program.