DISCOVERY OF CAGLIARI WITH TASTING
An impressive tour to enjoy the best of Cagliari: not only art, architecture, archeology and the views of the city, but also the products of this land, like local dishes and wines, with after a walk through the narrow streets of the medieval old town.
What we will see
- Palazzo State
of Santa Maria Cathedral
towers, the Basilica of Santa Croce and bastions
What we will do
- We will hop on-board a shuttle bus, accompanied by our guide, until we arrive at the port exit.
- From here, we will begin our walking tour to discover the city of Cagliari, which, stood on seven hills, can admire its reflection in the sea, just like a vain lady.
- Cagliari is an ancient city boasting a long history. Its origins date back to Phoenician Karalis, built on a settlement from the third millennium B.C. During the Roman Period, it became the island's capital and at the end of the Medieval Period, it was, for a long time, the home for foreign denominations, the traces of which can still be seen.
- Our walk will lead us along the picturesque roads of the Medieval centre, to the Castello area, which occupies a prominent position about a hundred metres above sea level. The viewpoints scattered around the area offer an unforgettable view of the city and the sea in all their glory.
- We will admire the city's public and religious headquarters: the Palazzo Regio, a majestic building which dates back to the fourteenth century which was also residence of the Viceroy during Aragon, Spanish and Savoy rule and the Cathedral of Santa Maria, built relying on a Gothic-Romanesque form which was subsequently remodelled as per typical Genoese Baroque forms.
- The visits to the striking medieval towers, the monumental Basilica of Santa Croce, which was originally a synagogue and the evocative bastions which once defended the city, are unique opportunities to better get to know the history of Cagliari and the island.
- During our walk, we will stop at one of the typical gathering haunts used by the people of Cagliari to taste an aperitif, before returning to the shuttle bus departure area.
What you need to know
- Places are limited, so be sure to book early.