TRIP TO THE SIMPSON RIVER NATIONAL RESERVE
An unforgettable trip to discover the wild nature of Chile and particularly, Patagonia , following a section of the famous Carretera Austral: spectacular landscapes, breathtaking waterfalls and picturesque villages, all await.
What we will see
- Sightseeing ride along the Austral Route: Simpson River, blossoming valleys, small waterfalls, waterfall dedicated to Virgin Marya
- Simpson River National Reserve
- Mirador Alto Baguales
- Coyhaique: monument dedicated to shepherd, Plaza de Armas and craft market
- Meal at Loberías del Sur Hotel, Vírgen waterfall
What we will do
- We will leave from Puerto Chacabuco, which takes its name from the famous battle of Chacabuco of 1817 during the Chilean war of independence against Spain, for a sightseeing tour along the most famous road in the southern hemisphere: the Austral Route or “Carretera Austral”. In its entirety, the road is considered one of the most beautiful in the world and extends over 1,240 kilometres passing secular forests, pioneer farms and green-turquoise rivers, until we reach the waves of the Pacific Ocean.
- We will travel along a small section of this famous road, just enough to appreciate some of its beauties: the impetuous Simpson river which winds round the green blossoming valleys.
- We will stop for the first time at the Simpson River National Reserve, the gentle coves of which are flanked by huge rocky cliffs, all within a large valley which extends 37 km to the west of Coyhaique. The 410 km² are easily accessible and offer the opportunity to immerse ourselves into a very picturesque setting. We will have 30 minutes to visit the Visitors Center with a display of the flora and fauna of the area including an easy and short walk to the shores of the Simpson River and get to grips with the geography and nature of this area of Patagonia.
- Continuing on our journey, we will stop at Mirador Alto Baguales, from where we can see views of Coyhaique and the surrounding area.
- Once we arrive in the city, we will pass by the monument dedicated to the Shepherd, with stop at Plaza de Armas and the craft market where we can buy a selection of souvenirs in order to remember this marvellous experience at the heart of nature in Chile.
- We will then return towards the Simpson river valley stopping in this wild area: we will enjoy a picnic in a setting surrounded by mountains and forests and then continue on a short drive to see the spectacular Vírgen waterfall. We will then head to our coach which awaits to take us back to Puerto Chacabuco. Optional drop-off at the local market located near-by.
What you need to know
- Space is limited, so please reserve early.
- The hike at the Reserve is easy and short (400 meters in total) it lasts approximately 15 minutes, on a mostly flat, dirt track.
- We recommend wearing appropriate outdoors clothing and hiking boots.
- Patagonia weather is unpredictable and sudden changes during the day are possible. Guests are recommended to dress in layers, bring a jacket as some showers may occur.