TAORMINA AND ITS GREEK THEATER
Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
A guide will accompany you to discover Taormina, famous the world over for its Greek Theater and old town. The best way to combine its cultural attractions with the natural beauties** that surround this pearl of Sicily.
- Taormina's old town
- Porta Messina
- Palazzo Corvaja: external visit
- Greek Theater
- Taormina stands on the Mount Tauro plateau and is surrounded by lush vegetation.
- You can't come to Taormina and not visit the old town and its Greek Theater, and discover its many Greek, Roman and medieval remains.
- Our guide will take you for a walk from the ancient Porta Messina, the entrance to the old city, to Palazzo Corvaja, first built during the Arab period and later the seat of the Sicilian Parliament from 1411.
- The Greek Theater dates back to the 3rd century BC and still hosts theater performances today, thanks to its perfect acoustics and a picturesque position overlooking the sea, with a view of the Gulf of Schisò and Mount Etna. To build it, 100,000 cubic meters of rock were removed by hand at the time of Hiero II, the tyrant of Syracuse. The name of his wife, Philistis, is engraved on some of the steps. Many renovations and changes were made as early as the Roman era under Augustus. With its 100,000 spectators, the theater was the second largest in Sicily after the one in Syracuse.
- You'll cross the city again, through its alleys and narrow streets, before returning to the ship.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to safeguard your health and comply with regulations and the safety protocol.