HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS
Sightseen, Passepartour, Less than 1 hour walking, 52
In a nutshell
Good to know
A hiking excursion that will take in the stunning sights of Geirangerfjord with its imposing mountains, thunderous waterfalls and farms dotted across the steep slopes.
- Geiranger Church
- Hole Camping
- Hiking in the mountains
- Storsæter waterfall
- Westerås farm
- Drink at the farm
- We will leave the dock by coach and prepare ourselves for the ride up the hill whilst we pass Geiranger church, an octagonal wooden building with a slate roof nestled into the rocks.
- After a number of twists and turns, we will reach Hole Camping. We will leave the coach there and start our excursion on foot.
- Our route will see us zig-zagging up the mountain and crossing summer pastures. In the past, all the straw available was used, even the straw that grew in the most inaccessible places. It was collected and sent down the valley using the løypestreng, a cable that stretched to the nearest barn.
- Our destination is the spectacular Storsæter waterfall, which gushes out from a height of 30 metres forming a large curve so we can walk right under it!
- After admiring this incredible view, we will hike down to Westerås farm, which lies on a projection jutting out over Geiranger.
- Uninhabited during winter and at the beginning of spring due to the danger of avalanches, it is a hive of activity during the summer months and it is here that we will be served a drink.
- After relaxing for a while, we will have some free time to look around the farm before returning on foot to Hole Camping where our coach will be waiting to take us back to the quay in Geiranger.
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The walk to the waterfall takes around 1 hour (3 km) and covers rough ground and steep sections so it may be tiring.
- We recommend wearing walking shoes and suitable clothing.