ON THE FOOTSTEPS OF SAINT AGATHA, PATRON SAINT OF CATANIA
Culture & local gems , MyExploration, Passepartour, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 52
The veneration of Saint Agatha is not merely confined to Catania; the figure of the martyr has assumed great importance for Catholicism as a whole and the third most famous religious festival in the world is held in her name. On this excursion, we will visit the main sites associated with the life and worship of the saint in the places where it all began.
- Roman column with statue of Saint Agatha
- Cathedral of Saint Agatha
- Church of Sant’Agata alla Fornace
- Church of Sant’Agata al Carcere
- Church of Sant’Agata la Vetere
- Sanctuary of the Madonna del Carmine
- Gourmet stop to sample typical Sicilian granita
- Our itinerary in the footsteps of Saint Agatha will take shape along the streets of Catania, starting at the Roman column topped with a statue of the saint. This monument was built in memory of the plague that spread across the island in 1744, during which, according to tradition, Catania remained untouched thanks to the intercession of its patron saint.
- Our holy route continues to the Cathedral of Saint Agatha, home to a chapel dedicated to the saint that contains her remains, an important destination for the faithful who come to pay homage to her every year. * We will then visit the Church of Sant’Agata alla Fornace, which is said to stand on the site of the furnace in which the saint was martyred. * We will then visit two more landmarks of the patron saint of Catania’s human and spiritual life: the Church of Sant’Agata al Carcere (outside visit), built on the ruins of the bastion of the Holy Prison, where the saint was imprisoned before she was martyred, and the Church of Sant’Agata la Vetere, site of the Praetorian Palace in which she was condemned.
- To complete our tour, we will visit the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Carmine, the place where Saint Lucy, patron saint of Syracuse, came to pray during Saint Agatha’s first burial. We will also have the chance to admire an eighteenth-century painting that depicts this scene.
- Before returning to the port, our coach will take us on a brief panoramic tour of the city, during which we will have the opportunity to treat ourselves to a typical Sicilian granita.
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- The excursion involves walking and churches are accessed via steps.
- Appropriate clothing is recommended: shorts, sleeveless and low-cut tops and short skirts are not permitted.
- When the cathedral is being used for religious ceremonies, our tour will be limited to the exterior of the building. Alternatively, there will be a tour of the Collegiata Basilica.