'CASTEL DEL MONTE' AND THE BASILICA OF ST. NICHOLAS
An unmissable opportunity to see two of the most precious jewels of Italian architecture, the Basilica of St. Nicholas in Bari and the Castel del Monte, in one excursion, retracing the events that have left a mark on the history of these fascinating, mysterious places.
What we will see
- Basilica of St. Nicholas
- Castel del Monte
What we will do
- Our excursion, which includes a visit to two of the finest examples of Italian architecture, starts at the Basilica of Saint Nicholas, which was built in the Apulian Romanesque style during the Norman domination. It is here that the relics of the city's famous patron saint are preserved. Its construction dates back to the year 1087 AD when, following the legendary expedition of 62 sailors from Bari to Myra, the sacred relics of Saint Nicholas were brought to the city.
- We then proceed by coach to the second destination of our excursion: Castel del Monte, the symbol par excellence of the melting pot of artists and scholars of many different nationalities and races that were hosted at the court of Frederick II of Swabia. The castle, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is traditionally believed to have been built around 1240. It lay abandoned for centuries until 1876 when it became a place of great interest to experts of history of art and astronomy, scientists and architects, who even today are amazed by the perfection of a mathematically imperfect structure.
- The building has an octagonal plan with a 24-metre high octagonal tower at each corner. The interior is divided into two floors that are raised with respect to the forecourt. Observing the building in detail, it is amazing to note that not one of the façades of the internal octagonal courtyard is the same as any other, yet the beauty and harmony of the building as a whole is quite beguiling. The castle was built from three main materials (limestone, white marble and breccia corallina, a type of sedimentary rock with a pink hue), which are carefully distributed to produce the right chromatic effect.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.?
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- In case of heavy traffic, the excursion may last longer.
- The transfer takes approximately 1 hour each way.