THE 'TRULLI' OF ALBEROBELLO
Panorama, PasseparTour, Tasting
A great opportunity to visit Alberobello's famous 'trulli', traditional, cylindrical buildings that are unique to this region and have seen part of the town declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We can immerse ourselves in the magical atmosphere of the old rural tradition that exudes from every nook and cranny of this fairytale setting.
What we will see
- The Trulli of Alberobello
- The 'Monti' and 'Aia Piccola' quarters of the town
- Tasting typical local products
What we will do
- We leave Bari by coach and we reach Alberobello, a picturesque town in the Murge area known the world over for its trulli, the typical domed, cylindrical white dwellings that have earned two districts of the town a place on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites. Trulli - which are typical of the Itria valley - are still used as houses today. They are modular dwellings with a roughly circular plan with internal rooms distributed around a central space. The thickness of the walls and the almost total absence of windows ensures an optimal thermal equilibrium; warm in winter and cool in summer.
- Accompanied by a local guide we visit the two most typical rioni (neighbourhoods) of Alberobello: Rione Monti - which covers about 15 hectares in the southern part of town - where there are about 1000 trulli arranged in 8 delightful streets, and used mainly for tourist accommodation and as artisan workshops, and the Rione Aia Piccola in the south-eastern part of town, where there are about 400 trulli used exclusively as residential dwellings ('Aia Piccola' is Italian for little barnyard, and refers to a space once used for the threshing of wheat).
- Before returning to Bari there is another stop to taste some typical local products.
What you need to know
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.
- The transfer to Alberobello takes approximately 1 hour each way.
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- In case of heavy traffic, the excursion may last longer.