PENGUINS OF PUNTA TOMBO
Panorama, Nature, Meal included
Punta Tombo is the largest Magellan penguin colony in Patagonia. Each spring, over a million and a half of these cute birds come here to mate and wean their pups. This tour offers a unique opportunity to observe them at very close quarters in their natural habitat and concludes with a delicious lunch of local specialities as a fitting celebration of the experience.
What we will see
- Transfer to Punta Tombo
- Viewing of penguin colony
What we will do
- We leave Puerto Madryn by coach and cross the Patagonian steppe heading south toward Punta Tombo, about 180 km away. This spot is universally recognised as one of the best vantage points for observing the Magellanic penguins, strongly built animals, 70 cm high and with black plumage on their head and back, and white on the belly, crossed by two black stripes.
- From September to March this immense colony is home to about a half a million penguins, who come here to nest, mate, incubate their eggs and feed their young. The females arrive a month after the males, around September, and in November the puppies are born. Only one month later they take their first dips in the water.
- During the visit we have the opportunity to walk among thousands of nests and gape at this fascinating spectacle of nature and at the many sea birds that have chosen to nest here, such as grey gulls, skuas, cormorants and various species of terns and giant petrels.
- The culmination of this extraordinary experience is a lunch of local specialties, an ideal opportunity to relax and have a drink.
What you need to know
- Space is limited, so be sure to book early.
- The road is almost completely tarmacked, except for the last section, which is untarmacked and covered with gravel and may be dusty.
- It is best to wear light clothing and comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots, and bring sun cream and a hat.
- Flash photography is not allowed in the areas where penguins live.
- This excursion includes a minimum of 5 hours of travelling.?