PROVENCE AND TOUR OF GORDES
Panorama, Nature, Lunch not included
Let us explore the heart of Provence, visiting an evocative abbey, exploring the countryside among stretches of colourful scented lavender ending with a tour of the perched hamlet of Gordes.
What we will see
- Silvacane Abbey (visit)
- Tour among the lavender fields
- Sénanque Abbey (photo stop)
- Free time
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Marseilles by coach and venture north into the heart of Provence.
- Our first stop is the Silvacane Abbey, a 12th-century monastery located in the Vaucluse department, We visit the church, the only part of the abbey that is open to the public, and continue on our tour.
- Sitting comfortably in our coach, we will go on a relaxing tour through wonderful lavender fields in full bloom, one of the symbols of the Provence region.
- After stopping to take a few photos of this marvellous spectacle, our tour continues towards Gordes, a lovely hamlet perched on a rocky spur and considered one of the most beautiful in France.
- Our guide takes us to explore the old medieval heart of the town before giving us some free time to have lunch in a typical local restaurant or to do a bit of shopping.
- RE-board your coach, and head to the 2nd sister of Provence, Sénanque Abbey. It was founded in 1148, and temporarily housed the first community of impoverished monks. The site was repurchased in 1854 for a new community of Cistercian monks of the Immaculate Conception; nowadays the monks who live at Sénanque grow lavender and tend honey bees for their livelihood. Take some great photos of the lavender fields in front of the abbey for a magical and oh so Provençal cliché.
- At the end of the excursion, we board our coach again for an hour and a half's drive back to the port in Marseilles.
What you need to know
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.