CHARM OF MARSEILLES AND AIX-EN-PROVENCE
Panorama, Culture, Shopping, Meal included
Do you want to experience the real Provence? Discover it on a day-long excursion. History, art and bustling outdoor cafés: can you already hear the popular melody of “Douce France” in your head?
- Aix-en-Provence: Cours Mirabeau, Mazarin district, Place des Quatre-Dauphins, Saint-Sauveur Cathedral. Free time for lunch.
- Marseilles: Old Port, Church of Notre-Dame de la Garde.
- Aix-en-Provence, a university and spa town, has the sophisticated atmosphere of Cours Mirabeau, with its tree-lined avenue, fountains and pavement cafés. You know you've arrived in the heart of Provence. Take photos so you can believe your own eyes.
- Did you know that the fountains here are often covered in moss? You'll see it for yourself once in front of the “bubbling fountain” of spa water referred to by locals as the “fontaine moussue” (mossy fountain).
- At Saint-Sauveur Cathedral, stop for a moment to admire the Burning Bush Tryptic by Nicolas Froment, considered one of the most famous European paintings of the 15th century.
- Make the most of your free time for lunch to enjoy some typical Provençal dishes. Also try the traditional Aix cookies called calissons. They are diamond-shaped and are made with a paste of candied fruit almonds and fondant.
- In Marseilles, spend some time in the old port, exploring the alleys dotted with art galleries, bars and cultural centers, then visit the church of Notre-Dame de la Garde that stands high above the city. You'll get a 360° view of the city from here.
Good to know
- Wear suitable clothing for the places of worship you will be visiting.
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.