SANTORINI: WINE TOUR WITH A VOLCANIC FLAVOR
Discovery & taste, Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking, 52
This is the tour for you if you want to try wines made with Assyrtiko, one of the oldest grape varieties in the world. No less than three wineries await you on the Megalochori plain, where your wine tasting journey begins. You'll also learn all about the production of these characteristic Santorini wines.
- Village of Megalochori
- Wine tasting at the three wineries:
- Gavalas Winery
- Domaine Sigalas
- Santo Winery
- Get ready to taste the fruit of Santorini's volcanic viticulture, practiced on the island for 3500 years! Head for the village of Megalochori, where you'll visit three important wineries and taste their wines.
- The Gavalas Winery dates back to the eighteenth century. They began by wine for the family, selling the little that was left over. While you enjoy the tasting, you'll hear their story and learn how the wine is made.
- Domaine Sigalas is one of the island's youngest wineries. Here the vines are cultivated using experimental as well as traditional methods. You'll taste wines made with different Greek grape varieties. Which ones are the most ancient? Santorini's Assyrtiko and Mavrotragano.
- Last on the tour is the Santo Winery, the oldest large winery on the island. What is its special feature? A terrace that looks out across the Santorini caldera. The volcanic wines tasted here will have a panoramic flavor.
- If you like, you can return to the port by cable car after the tour. The trip is on us.
Good to know
- To reach the tender station you can travel by cable car or on foot. The cable car fare is included in the excursion price.