SIGTSEEING TOUR OF SANTO DOMINGO
In a nutshell
Good to know
A tour to admire the two sides of the most ancient city of the Americas - the colonial heart dating back to the 16th century and its more modern lively side.
- Columbus Lighthouse
- Ciudad Colonial: city walls and Alcázar de Colón
- El Malecón, Avenida Máximo Gómez and Plaza de la Cultura
- Parque Indipendencia
- Palacio Nacional
- We leave the port on a coach that immediately takes us to discover fantastic views of the city with its Columbus Lighthouse, a monument dedicated to Christopher Columbus on the 5th centenary of the discovery of America.
- We continue towards the colonial part of the city, known as Ciudad Colonial, the first still-existing settlement created by Christopher Columbus and other Spanish explorers upon their arrival in the New World and declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1990. We pass by the city walls and Alcázar de Colón, a monumental two-storey building commissioned by Christopher Columbus’ son, Diego, between 1510 and 1514.
- We then head towards the El Malecón coastal road (nickname of the Avenida George Washington) and the famous Avenida Máximo Gómez, home to the National Theatre as well as the Plaza de la Cultura with its many museums.
- Before heading back to the port, we also take a peak at the Parque Independencia and Palacio Nacional*, as well as at the economic centre of the modern part of the city.
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available. There is limited availability of English speaking guides.
- The excursion returns to the port and is reserved for both guests in transit and disembarking. Check on board if the tour is compatible with your flight.