PREMIUM: A FLIGHT ACROSS THE ARCTIC CIRCLE TOWARDS THE ISLAND OF GRÍMSEY
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell A flight towards the green oasis of Grimsey on the Arctic Circle.
Good to know
- Flight to the island of Grimsey
- Excursion with free birdwatching
- Crossing of the Arctic Circle and Certificate
- We will board our plane in Akureyri for a direct flight to the Isle of Grimsey.
- During our flight, we will enjoy the breathtaking view of the unspoilt mountains on both sides of 'Eyjafjörður (the Island Fjord), the longest in northern Iceland.
- As we get nearer to our destination, we will be able to admire the wonderful inlets with their Basalt columns and the cliffs that dominate the eastern coast.
- After landing, we will discover the best spots on the island. The guided walking tour will start from a town that used to be an autonomous municipality up to 2009.
- Grimsey is a true heaven for birdwatching lovers: the numerous colonies of sea birds include at least 60 different species, 36 of which nest in the area (kittiwakes, puffins, procellarias, urias and arctic terns, among others).
- The island is famous for its concentration of birds and eggs as well as for its waters teeming with fish.
- Located on the Atlantic Ocean 40 km from the Icelandic coast, the Island of Grimsey covers only 5.3 sq km and is therefore a true green oasis that survives on fishing and agriculture.
- Despite its sparse population, the village has everything - there is a primary school, a B&B, a swimming pool and a souvenir shop for those who cannot leave without a memento of their visit.
- Before heading back, we will visit the northernmost Icelandic settlements to cross the Arctic Circle and earn our Crossing Certificate.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.
- Sightings of the marine birds depend on the season and weather conditions and cannot be guaranteed after mid August.
- We do not recommend this excursion for disabled guests, as there is a one-hour long walking tour and the island must be reached by plane.
- Guests under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems or wheelchair.