• Havn


  • Niveau af vanskeligheder


  • Type

    Panorama, Culture, Lunch not included

  • Pris



  • Varighed i timer


  • Udflugtskode



From the magic of the Drogarati Caves to the architectural wonders of Kefalonia, an island full of history and the jewels that are its landscapes.

What we will see
  • Kefalonia
  • Drogarati Cave
  • Village of Agia Efimia
  • Monastery of St. Andreas
  • St. George's Castle

What we will do
  • We will disembark from the boat at Argostoli and join our coach to go in search of the bowels of Kefalonia: the Drogarati Cave. Discovered 300 years ago, the cave is around 150 million years old and was opened to the public in 1963. We are surrounded by the magical feeling of this cave with its myriad of stalagmites and stalactites. Concerts are often held in the larger chamber, known as the “Hall of the Apotheosis” for its incredible acoustics.
  • At the end of our visit to this enchanted place, we make our way to Agia Efimia, a fishing village on the east coast of Kefalonia, surrounded by the mountains lining the Pylaros valley. Bathed by the crystal waters of the Ionian Sea, life in this village follows a steady rhythm, in keeping with nature. Here we will stroll along the characteristic alleys, where we will be able to treat ourselves in little tavernas and top quality cafés.
  • We will continue our excursion, this time to the Monastery of St. Andreas, or Agios Andreas, an important destination on the island for pilgrims, as it holds what is believed to be the right foot of Saint Andrew. We will admire the numerous works of art, including the frescoes dating back to the 13th and 17th centuries which came to light after the major earthquake of 1953. We will be standing before one of the greatest artistic treasures of the island!
  • From the Monastery of St. Andreas we will get a glimpse of the ruins of St. George's Castle, the oldest castle on the island, still surrounded by some of the buildings connected with its history, such as the ruins of churches and walls with crenels and bastions. After the Turkish occupation, the Venetians took the castle in 1500 and built an outer defensive wall. Although nowadays uninhabited, this village of 14,000 inhabitants developed around the castle and was the island's capital. The castle began its decline when Argostoli became the administrative centre of Kefalonia in 1757.

What you need to know
  • Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended (ladies are expected to wear a shoulder scarf covering shoulders and arms; neither ladies nor gents are allowed to wear shorts).
  • Flash photography is not allowed inside the church.
  • Comfortable shoes are recommended.