KEFALONIA, CAVES AND HISTORY
Panorama, Culture, Lunch not included
Are you ready to explore the ancient cave of Drogarati in Kefalonia? Its stalactites are 150 million years old. The acoustics are also perfect for a concert. In addition, there's the fishing village of Agia Efimia, a monastery with a treasure trove of art, and the ruined castle of Agios Georgios.
- Kefalonia, the biggest of the Ionian islands
- Drogarati Cave: stalactites and stalagmites
- Fishing village of Agia Efimia
- Monastery of Agios Andreas, a treasure trove of art
- Castle of Agios Georgios, ruins overlooking the sea: panoramic view
- If you've never been into a cave you simply cannot miss the experience of going underground into the Drogarati Cave and, if you have done it before, you'll discover a place that is constantly changing thanks to its stalactites and stalagmites which date back 150 million years. The acoustics here are so special that all kinds of concerts are held in the largest cave, known as the “room of the apotheosis”. Maria Callas herself once sang here.
- The fishermen of Agia Efimia, on the eastern coast of Kefalonia, work with simple, age-old gestures. In your free time here, try some gyros and Greek salad in one of the many taverns, you'll feel just like a local.
- Did you know that the sole of the right foot of Saint Andrew is said to be kept here in the monastery dedicated to him? See for yourself and you'll discover that in addition to the relic, a number of Orthodox, Christian and Byzantine icons are also kept in the Ecclesiastical Museum. One of the greatest artistic treasures of the island.
- Near the Monastery of Agios Andreas is the Byzantine Castle of Agios Georgios, of which only the ruins still remain. In the best tradition of castles, there was also a safety tunnel that led to the Koutavos lagoon below.
Good to know
- Wear suitable clothing for the places of worship you will be visiting.
- The excursion to the Drogarati caves includes some steps along the way.
- The excursion is unsuitable for pregnant women.
- The temperature in the cave is a constant 18° with 90% humidity.