TRIP TO CLÉMENT PLANTATION, THE RUM DISTILLERY AND BALATA GARDENS
Giro turistico, Naturalistisk tur, Kulturel, Drink included
What we will see
- Clément Plantation: manor house, the garden and systems of the old rum distillery, tasting session
- Church of Balata and garden with tropical plants
What we will do
- We will depart from the port of Fort-de-France and head east passing close by to the city of Le Lamentin, one of the largest on the island and the main economic, industrial and commercial headquarters as well as being the home of the international airport of Martinique.
- We will take a panoramic road within the island to arrive at the historic Clément plantation, a genuine architectural and industrial heritage site on the island of Martinique. The Maison Clément is one of the main run producers on Martinique and is famous for its aged rums.
- Here, we will visit the manor house, exceptionally well preserved and decorated with ancient furniture, where the French President, Mitterand and the US President, G. W. Bush met in 1991.
- We will also visit a part of the garden, where we can see sugar cane up-close and the systems of the former rum distillery, which is no longer operational. In 2005, the former distillery was set up as a Rum Information Centre, where owing to a high walkway which passes over the two sections of the distillery, visitors can discover the machinery needed to make cultivated rum. After the visit, we will enjoy run tasting.
- During the return journey, we will stop at the small church of Balata, a miniature reproduction of the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur in Paris. The church, built by the French architect, Wuifflef adopts a Neo-Gothic style and is surmounted by a dome, it enjoys an extraordinary position on the top of a hill with the Carbet Mountains in the background and which offers a splendid view of the bay of Le Lamentin and the capital, Fort-de-France up to Pointe du Bout. We will stop briefly to take photos not just of the Church but the views as well.
- However the most special surprise which awaits us on our tour, is thegarden of Balata, a botanical park within the rainforest, which includes pathways which wind around trees and tropical flowers, and which features over one thousand plant species.
- We return to the port at the end of the visit.
What you need to know
Please note: English guides available in limited number, the tour could be guided in French. Space is limited, so please book early. Guests are advised to wear suitable clothing for entrance into holy places.