VENICE FROM THE WATER
Venice was designed to be seen from the water. To be a jaw-dropping sight for visiting ambassadors, merchants and adventurers even before they could set foot on dry land. On this boat trip you'll also see the palaces, bridges, squares, churches and smaller islands of the city, known as 'La Serenissima', like a VIP of yesteryear.
- Scenic boat trip:
- Giudecca Canal, Islands of San Giorgio, San Clemente, San Servolo and San Lazzaro, Lido Island, Sant'Andrea Fortress, Islands of Le Vignole and Sant’Erasmo.
- Island of Murano, Marani Canal and Arsenal, Basilica of San Pietro di Castello, St. Mark's Square.
- The boat will leave the Giudecca Canal for the Lido. You'll pass the Island of San Clemente and the Island of San Giorgio, on which the distinctive Renaissance basilica built by Palladio stands out.
- Did you know that San Servolo was for many centuries the island where psychiatric patients were confined? Today it is the site of the Museo del Manicomio (mental hospital museum).
- San Lazzaro degli Armeni, on the other hand, is the site of a monastery still occupied by the Armenian Mekhitarist Fathers, who were persecuted by the Turks and left their homeland in the 18th century.
- The Lido separates the lagoon from the open sea: Venetians come to this island when they want some beach time. This is also one of the most dangerous access points from the sea, in the event of attack by an enemy fleet: it was for this very reason that the Sant'Andrea Fortress was built in the 16th century.
- You will travel past Le Vignole and Sant'Erasmo, Venice's two kitchen garden islands and head towards the Arsenal.
- After skirting the island of Murano, famous for its glass blowing artistry, the tour will end in the port, after sailing past St. Mark's Square.
Good to know
- During the tour, a local guide will provide you with assistance and information.
- The excursion is available both for guests in transit and for guests with a flight, train journey or transfer departing from Trieste after 4.00 p.m.
- The excursion program does not include any further transfer at the end of the excursion, neither from the Cruise Terminal to the railway station nor to any other destination.
- Costa Cruises offers all tour guests a left luggage service inside the Cruise Terminal, where luggage can be delivered and collected until 5.00 p.m.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.